Alexander A. McMeeking, M.D., FACP
- Farleigh Dickenson University, Rutherford Campus, 9/74 - 5/78
- New Jersey Medical School, Newark, N.J., 9/78 - 5/82
- St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, N.Y.
- Internship: 7/82 -6/83
- Residency: 7/83 -6/85
- New York University/Bellevue Medical Center, New York, N.Y.
- Fellow- Infectious Diseases 7/85- 6/87
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Omega Epsilon honor societies.
- New York Magazine Best Doctors Infectious Diseases June 8th 2015
- New York University/ Bellevue Medical Center, NYC, NY
- Attending Physician - Infectious Diseases - 7/87 - Present
- Director; AIDS and Infectious Disease Clinic - Bellevue
- Hospital - 7/87 - 6/89
- Instructor in Medicine 7/87- 7/94
- Clinical Assistant Professor in Medicine 7/94 - 7/02
- Clinical Associate Professor in Medicine 7/02 - Present
- New York State: Since 1983
- Hepatitis Resource Network, 1/1999 - Present.
- American Medical Association, 1985 - Present.
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, 1995 - Present.
- Member, Infectious Diseases Society of America, 1987 - Present.
- Member, Harvey Society, 1987 - Present.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine, 2006
- International Anal Neoplasia Society 2014 – Present
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians 2016 - Present
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine, September 11, 1985
- Board Certified in Infectious Diseases, November 1, 1988
Institutional Administrative Responsibilities:
- Director of Clinical Virologic Research, NYU Medical Center, Tisch Hospital, 2002
- Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee, NYU Medical Center, 1989 - Present
- Quality Assurance Committee, NYU Medical Center, 1991 - Present
- Infection Control Committee, NYU Medical Center, 1989 - Present
- Sub Investigator, AIDS Clinical Trials Unit, NYU Medical Center, 2005 - Present
- Tisch Hospital of the NYU Medical Center, New York, NY
- Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY
- Member, Advisory Board of the HIV Arts Network, October 1993 - Present.
- A not-for-profit organization supplying information and counseling on HIV to the arts community of New York City. Approximately 100 hours per year.
- Editorial Board: The PRN Notebook of the Physicians Research Network, New York, NY
- Therapy of cryptosporidiosis in patients with AIDS using oral Bovine Transfer Factor in a prospective double-blinded study with evaluation of immunologic status pre and post therapy following lymphocyte proliferation assays and T cell helper/suppressor ratios.
- Immune stimulation therapy in patients with AIDS using oral Bovine Transfer Factor and AZT in prospective double-blinded study.
- Principal Investigator at NYU for compassionate use of Fluconazole in systemic fungal infections. Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, 1988-1999.
- Co-investigator at NYU for study of Granulocyte-Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GMCSF) in patients with CMV retinitis who develop neutropenia on Ganciclovir, 1991-1994.
- Co-investigator at NYU for study of oral Ganciclovir for CMV viral retinitis. Roche Pharmaceuticals, 1991-1994.
- Principal investigator at NYU for study of oral Ganciclovir as a prophylaxis against systemic CMV infection in patients with HIV disease, 1992-1994.
- Co-investigator at NYU of PIXY 321 hematopoietic growth factor for patients with HIV-related pancytopenia, 1994-1996.
- Co-investigator at NYU for the use of a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) assay to evaluate bone marrow samples from AIDS patients for acid fast organisms.
- Co-investigator at NYU for the use of implant ganciclovir to treat CMV viral retinitis in AIDS patients Roche Pharmaceuticals, 1995-1998.
- Principle investigator, NYU, 1592 Abacavir Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor - Phase three- study for Glaxo Welcome Company, 6/97 -6/98.
- Principle investigator, NYU for Saquinavir Gel. Cap Protease-Inhibitor for HIV infections, Roche Pharmaceuticals, 5/97 - 6/99.
- Co-investigator, NYU, oral ganciclovir prodrug as therapy for CMV retinitis Roche Pharmaceuticals, 3/97 -2001.
- Principle investigator, NYU comparing single vs double protease inhibitor therapy in treatment-naive HIV positive patients - Merck Pharmaceuticals, 9/98 - 5/00.
- Coinvestigator, NYU, pegylated interferon versus standard interferon therapy for Hepatitis C viral infection. Roche Pharmaceuticals, 6/98 - 5/00.
- Coinvestigator, NYU, pegylated interferon versus standard interferon therapy for coinfected HIV/ Hepatitis C viral infection. - Roche Pharmaceuticals, 2/00 - 9/02.
- Investigator, CHORUS Data Base, a prospective observational data base of 4,000 HIV positive patients ongoing at four sites in U.S. - Glaxo Welcome 7/97 – 5/2002.
- Principle investigator, NYU site Salvage therapy Hepatitis C treatment failures with pegylated interferon and Thymosin alpha -1 SciClone Pharmaceuticals, 4/03-8/05.
- Principle investigator, NYU site Open label treatment protocol Tipranavir co-administered with Ritonavir in PI-experienced patients with HIV Phase III trial. Boehringer Ingelheim Company, 5/04-11/05.
- Sub Investigator ACTG 5186 A Phase II trial of the effects of combination therapy with fish oil supplement and fenofibrate on triglyceride levels in subjects on HAART. 9/04-5/05.
- Sub Investigator ACTG 5197 A Double-blind placebo controlled phase II study to evaluate the antiretroviral effect of immunization with the MRK AD5 HIV-1 GAG vaccine in HIV-1 infected individuals. 9/04-9/07.
- Principle Investigator Multicenter randomized trial of CCR5 antagonist UK-427,857 with optimized background therapy for treatment of antiretroviral-experienced HIV-1 infected subjects. 11/05-1/07.
- Subinvestigator . CytoDyn , Monoclonal Antibody 140 CCR5 in treatment experienced HIV subjects 2/16-present.
- McMeeking AA, Codd WJ, Hanna BA Report of a wound infection caused by Vibrio Parahaemolyticus and Vulnificus Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 1986; 5: 221-223.
- Schuster M, Cohn J, McMeeking AA Disinfection for HTLV III: Halogenated soaps Journal of the American Medical Association 1986; 255: 2290-2291.
- Cohn J, McMeeking AA, Cohen W, Jacobs J, Holzman R Response and Survival in Patients Treated for Presumed vs Proven CNS Toxoplasmosis. (Abstract) III International Conference on AIDS, Washington, D.C., June 1-5, 1987.
- McMeeking AA Chloroquine and Fansidar Prophylaxis - A Reply (Letter) Journal of Infectious Diseases 1987; 155: 1351.
- McMeeking AA, Holzman R, Desiderio D, Hanna B Group B Streptococcal osteomyelitis in as adult New York State Journal of Medicine 1987; 87: 466-7.
- McMeeking AA, Holzman R Group G Streptococcal bacteremia and parenteral drug abusers Journal of Infectious Diseases 1988; 157: 612.
- McMeeking AA, Borkowsky W, Klesius PH, et al Controlled trial of Bovine Transfer Factor therapy for cryptosporidiosis in AIDS patients. (Abstract 7110) IV International Conference on AIDS, Stockholm, Sweden, June, 13-14, 1988.
- McMeeking AA, Gonzalez R, Hanna B Mammary tuberculosis New York State Journal of Medicine 1989; 89: 288-289.
- Cohn J, McMeeking AA, Cohen W, Jacobs J, Holzman R Evalution of the policy of empiric treatment of suspected Toxoplasma encephalitis in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome American Journal of Medicine 1989; 86: 521-527.
- Weiss S, Visser E, Rodgers P, McMeeking AA, Schlamm H Outpatient transfusion therapy for Retrovir-associated anemia (Absrtact W.B.P 375) V International Conference on AIDS, Montreal, Canada, June 4-9, 1989.
- Cohn J, McMeeking AA, Schlamm H, Vogler M, Allen S, Holzman R. Efficacy of AZT in a Municipal Hospital Clinic (Abstract W.B.P. 353) V International Conference on AIDS, Montreal, Canada, June 4-9.
- Klesius PH, McMeeking AA, Bokowsky W, Bonk S, Holzman R, Lawrence HS Immunotherapy of Cryptosporidium parvum with Bovine Transfer Factor IN: Research and Applications of Transfer Factor and DLE (H. Baolai, W. Ruzhang and Z. Zhaofen, eds.) Xueyan Press, Bejing, China, 1989. pp. 227-254.
- McMeeking AA, Schwartz L, Garay S Don’t Forget AIDS at Any Age. (letter) Journal of the American Geriatric Society 1989; 37: 1204-1205.
- McMeeking AA, Borkowsky W, Klesius PH, Bonk S, Holzman R, Lawrence, HS A controlled trial of bovine dialyzable leukocyte extract for Cryptosporidiosis in patients with AIDS Journal of Infectious Diseases 1990; 161: 108-112.
- Dietrich DT, Kim MH, McMeeking AA, Rotterdam H Cytomegalovirus appendicitis in a patient with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. American Journal of Gastroenterology 1991; 86: 904-906.
- Poles MA, McMeeking AA, Scholes JV, Dieterich DT Actinomyces Infection of a Cytomegalovirus Esophageal Ulcer in Two Patients with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome American Journal of Gastro-enterology 1994; 89: 1569-2572.
- Goldenberg A, McMeeking AA, Yunzhen C, Garrison L A Phase I Study of PIXY 321 for HIV Related Pancytopenia (Abstract 3709) American Society of Hematology, Seattle, Washington, December 12-16, 1995.
- Gandhi S, McMeeking AA, Friedberg D, Holzman R Cryptococcal Choroiditis in a Patient with AIDS (Case report and review). Journal of Infectious Disease 1996; 23: 1193-1194.
- Haung PP, McMeeking AA, Stempien MJ, Zagzag D Cytomizgalovibus Disease Presenting as a Focal Brain Mass: Report of two cases Journal of Neurosurgery 1997; 40: 1074-1079.
- Dipasquali B, McMeeking AA, Tierno PM IgM and IgG Antibody Titers to Bartonrilla Henselae in HIV Positive and Healthy Individuals in the New York Area (Abstract V24) American Society for Microbiology, Miami Beach, Florida, May 4-8, 1997.
- Klein P, McMeeking AA, Goldenberg A Babesiosis in a Patient with Sickle Cell Anemia American Journal of Medicine 1997; 40: 416.
- Gorniak RJ, Kramer EL, McMeeking AA, Zagzag D Thalium-201 Uptake in Cytomegalovirus Encephalitis Journal of Nuclear Medicine 1997;38 1386-88.
- Dietrich,D, Braun J, Mullen M, Mc Meeking AA. Incidence of Body Habitus Changes in a Cohort of HIV-infected Patients. (Abstract 674). Infectious Disease Society of America Philadelphia, PA September, 1998.
- Weisz K, Kreiswirth S, McMeeking AA. Erythropoietin Use for Riboviron/Interferon Induced Anemia in Patients With Hepatitis C (Abstract 325) in Program and Abstracts of the 38th International Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Washington, D.C 1998.
- Valentine F, Peiperl L, McMeeking AA, et al The Occurrence of Opportunistic Infections at Relatively High CD4 Levels is Associated with an Antigen-Specific Absence of Lymphocyte Proliferative Responses. Program and Abstracts of the 7th Conference on Retrovirals and Opportunistic Infections January 30th - February 2nd, 2000; San Francisco, CA, Abstract # 580.
- Bruno RG, Howland MA, McMeeking AA, Hoffman RS Long-acting Anticoagulant Overdose: Brodifacoum Kinetics and Optimal Vitamin K Dosing Annals of Emergency Medicine 2000; 36: 262-67.
- Wohlfeiler M, Kessler HA, Ruane PJ, McMeeking, AA, et al. Improving Management and Optimizing Treatment for the HIV Positive Population. Monograph, Medimax Communications, December 2004: 1-23.
- Hyanes P, Urbina A, McMeeking A et al Acute Renal Failure After Initiating of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate. Renal Failure. 2007; 29: 1063-66
- Miller E, Friedberg A, Marmoor M, McMeeking A. Safety and Efficacy of Raltegravir Therapy in a highly antiretroviral-experiencedpopulation in New York City. Abstract CDB0200 XVII International Aids Conference August 3-8 2008 Mexico City.
- Stone T, Bergen A, Ross F, McMeeking A et al A Multidiciplinary Team Approach to Hydroxyurea-Associated Chronic Wound with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. International Wound Journal. 2011 November 17.
- McMeeking AA, Kim I, Ross F Et al. Wounds in Patients With HIV. Advances in Skin Care 2014, Vol 27 No 9, 396-399